This week I am honored to sit down and chat with ultrarunner and writer Cory Reese to talk about his experiences running Vol State and writing his new powerful book “Stronger Than the Dark: Exploring the Intimate Relationship Between Running and Depression”.
Cory has written a few books in the past but this one definitely is the most personal, raw story he has ever told.
His own description of the book:
“Stronger Than the Dark is a book that explores the intimate relationship between running and depression. It is the most raw, vulnerable writing I have ever done. I wrote the book:
- For people who use exercise, at least in part, to cope with stress, anxiety or depression.
- For people who feel alone. They know something is wrong, but don’t know what it is, or how to fix it.
- For people who are desperate for an ounce of hope that things will get better, and that the sun will rise again.
- For people who use a smile to cover up their secret pain.
- For runners, the people who are willing to embrace the pain cave.”
This was a really enlightening conversation about mental health and the role exercise/adventure plays along with the necessity of opening up about our struggles.
“Cory’s beautifully broken path of healing speaks to anyone feeling lost in insecurity or despair, and gives hope that even in life’s darkest moments, we can find the light.”
Hope you guys enjoy the episode! It is always a pleasure chatting with Cory!!
MORE FROM CORY REESE:
Stronger Than the Dark: https://www.amazon.com/Stronger-Than-Dark-Relationship-Depression/dp/1736966405
Author Website: http://www.coryreese.com
MORE LIKE A BIGFOOT:
Subscribe and Review on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/like-a-bigfoot/id1160773293?mt=2
Soundcloud Archives: https://soundcloud.com/chris-ward-126531464
Stitcher Archives: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/like-a-bigfoot
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/likeabigfoot/