I’m 6 weeks out from the Grayson Highlands 50k so its time to kick training into full gear.
Last weekend I completed back to back long runs and I have a 22 miler scheduled for early Saturday morning (way early…screw you daylight savings time).
Although those are the two big training runs (along with a spring break trip to the mountains near Blacksburg, VA), during the next few weeks somethings will inevitably happen:
- I will inexplicably crave olives at the weirdest hours of the day. I’m talking waking up at midnight to snack on green olives with pimento…no shame.
- I will chase a deer through the woods and realize that my trail running ability doesn’t hold a candle to the majestic deer.
- I will realize what an advantage being a dad is to ultrarunning: Post training stroller walks, playground visits, and 2 year old wrestling matches. No time for R and R when you’re in Dadmode.
- I will blog about the race to an annoying extent.
- I will go #2 in the woods at least 5 times…no shame.
- I will give up beer and pizza…. and instantly crave nothing but beer and pizza.
- I will listen to over 50 podcasts ranging from serious to ridiculous.
- I will have training runs where I will feel terrible and others where I will feel invincible- and there will be no rhyme or reason that explains why or when.
- I will use the race as an excuse to buy $20 socks (Swiftwick if you want to sponsor me I will seriously wrap my whole body in your socks and never put on anything else ever again…what I’m trying to say is…I love you Swiftwick…so very much…please love me back)
- I will go on some kickass mountain runs and share the pics right here.
- I will hurdle at least 3 snakes causing every single root and broken branch on the trail to henceforth scare the crap out of me.
- I will tell my wife that I love her thousands of times and that I appreciate her supporting my adventures in this batshit crazy sport.
I will keep you guys updated throughout the training. I’m really looking forward to this race because my best friend and his wonderful girlfriend will be flying out from California to join the adventure!
Leave a Reply